Friends and Foes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Friends and Foes Empty Friends and Foes

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Katie moved through the labyrinth of the city, her long cloak dragging on the ground behind her. When the children of the slums saw her, they scrambled out of her path, hiding indoors. She could hear doors slamming shut on streets a block over, though she cannot blame them for their fear. She remembers a time in the past when a few of them were her friends, but they are all dead now. It's a cycle of death and heartbreak she is too weary to continue. So she lets them scatter, wandering through the maze of houses. It's a good way to escape from the nobles. 

Sometimes, though, she comes across the odd vampire taking advantage of the livestock, and has to flee. And on even rarer occasions, she meets a vampire who, like herself, simply wants to get away from it all. Those encounters are the ones she hates, because then she has to explain herself. She is usually suspected of befriending the livestock or preying on them, and scolded. She hates being seen as a child, yet compared those around her, she's barely a fetus. And she hates it.

Back to top Go down

Friends and Foes Empty Re: Friends and Foes

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Today was definitely one of the slower days for Mikajia. He had barely done more than chase a few kids around town for the hell of it, just so he could have something to do. He'd only been given one little errand to run by one of the stuck up Progenitors, and then left to do as he pleased afterwards. God he hated playing the obedient pup. But it couldn't be helped for now.

With nothing else to entertain his mind and keep him busy, Mikajia struck out to simply wandering town, just letting his mind wander and contemplate his next few moves in his goal. The tall noble, dressed in his usual all black attire, decided this time around to pay a visit to the farther edges of Sanguinem. He hadn't made it out this far in a while, simply because the farther you got away from the center of Sanguinem, the dirtier and less up-kept it became. The weakest and sickest of the livestock was always kept out in what could easily be classified as the Slums.

However, over time, Mikajia had also come to realize that the Slums were home to more than just the sickly and weak. It was also home to those who desired freedom most, and often tried to instigate rebellions. It was why they were treated the harshest, to be used as an example to others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:38 am

Katie turned around a corner, and saw a figure at the end of the street. When they did not run away, she realized with a sinking feeling that it was a vampire. She sighed softly to herself, turning and rushing down another alley. Maybe she hadn't been seen? Maybe whoever it was wouldn't bother her? She fought the urge to cry. She didn't want to do this. She had just wanted some peace and quiet, she wasn't in the mood to be yelled at. 

As she rushed down the alleyway, she spotted a human curled up by a staircase. She was a young girl, no older than five. Katie wondered why she hadn't run inside, but then she saw the vomit crusted against the stones of the building. The girl was too weak to even look at her, too weak to lift her head. Katie felt emotion, stupidly human emotion, rise painfully in her gut. Without thinking, she knelt besides the girl, resting a hand on her forehead. 

"It's going to be alright," she murmured. "I'll find some medicine for you." 

She didn't know where to find medicine, and she doubted that she'd get away with stealing some to give to this dying child. But she couldn't stop herself. What had this child ever done wrong? Humanity's crimes were horrific, but this girl knew none of them. She at least deserved a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Saleth walked down the deserted streets. He was currently in the slums of the city and was heading for the more populated part of the city. He had just finished one of his walks outside the city and was disappointed that he couldn't find anything interesting enough to draw. He always went on walks to calm himself whenever someone or something tested his patience, so it was very frustrating when he's forced to come back without drawing a single thing.

He could see a few kids peeking out of the broken windows of the buildings around him and stared at the short noble. It was rare for a noble to come around these parts after all, no wonder they're curious. His heels clicked sharply against the ground as he continued walking down the road. He blinked when he saw a small figure ahead and narrowed his eyes. It was a little girl but that was all he could get before she darted down an alleyway.

He frowned briefly before walking forward, seeing another figure at the end of the street. "I wonder who that is..." It was obviously a vampire since no kids were that tall, but he couldn't quite see who it was and didn't feel like extending his senses. The short noble headed for the vampire's direction, briefly glancing down the alleyway the girl went down before continuing on his way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Mikajia's eyes were drawn by a flutter of motion in his peripherals. He had caught the simplest of images of what had appeared to be a little girl. However, as the scent reached him through the air, he realized it had been a vampire. A single brow arched in confusion before he turned and approached the opening to the alley she had ran down. What he saw when he rounded the corner, caused the other brow to join the first in surprise, shortly before lowering with his lids as he cocked his head and stared at the vampire in pity.

Oddly enough, he felt no anger at her actions. First and foremost, he wished to understand. He didn't want her running off this time, at least now understanding why she'd tried to avoid him the first time; her being a commoner and he a noble, meant he held authority over her. "Do you pity her?" Mikajia said calmly as he casually strode over to stand a few feet away from the vampire girl, and the sickly human girl. "Do you wish to aide in her recovery? Make her well again? If so, I must know why." He said, staring down calmly at the vampire girl.

(((It's so tiny. *sobs*)))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Katie felt her heart nearly stop as she heard Mikajia. She immediately scrambled away from the girl, staring up at him with wide eyes. The girl let out a soft whimper at Katie's sudden movement. Katie pushed to her feet, holding her hands out defensively. She refused to look into the noble's eyes. What was he doing here? She had never run across a noble in these slums before. They were her hiding place, her safe haven. Not only was she being confronted, but she'd been caught with a human. It was a horrible offense, and she wasn't ready to face the punishment. 

"My lord," she gasped. "I'm so sorry, I swear I wasn't going to drink from her. I would never, I'm sorry." 

But that wasn't what he had asked. He knew her intentions. And he wanted to know why. But Katie couldn't tell him why. She could never admit to a noble that she had felt emotion, pity, for the girl. She took another step backwards, stepping on the hem of her dress and almost tripping. She quickly corrected herself.

What could she say? 

"I was worried about her condition," Katie lied. "If she's sick, then she can't give healthy blood, right? My lord," she added quickly. "And she's...so young. I just..." Her voice trailed off. She couldn't think of another reason that didn't involve emotion. Yes, she pitied the child. She pitied the girl more than she could ever admit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:04 am

Turns out, it was just a common vampire looking for a quick meal. Saleth quickly shooed the vampire away back to his post with a warning. The warning included Miteagus at his throat with the short noble scowling angrily. The short noble sheathed Miteagus as he watched the commoner nervously walk away heading for the more populated spot in the city. He turned around and headed for the alleyway the girl entered earlier. As he turned into it he expanded his senses and was surprised at what he found.

The girl apparently was a vampire and Mikajia was currently with her. "What's her doing here...?" The silver haired noble continued walking down the alleyway till he found the two he was looking for standing next to a human girl on the ground. He eyed her and he could tell that she was gravely ill from the condition she was in. It was no surprise really, this was the slums of the city after all.

"What is going on here?" The vampire girl looked nervous. She was a commoner so it was only natural for her to be nervous in the presence of nobles. Red eyes glanced over to his fellow noble with a questioning look, awaiting an answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Mikajia's brows twitched in amusement when the girl still managed to jump at his words, and then began sputtering apologies, as if she'd been caught doing something horribly wrong. Well, truthfully she really had, and had she either been found by someone else much more quick to punish, or even just Mikajia on a bad day, she would have probably already been enduring some punishment. Thankfully however, Mikajia wasn't in a violent mood, and was simply curious.

He arched a brow lightly when the girl finally seemed to come up with a reason as to her actions, albeit a badly formulated lie. Mikajia was not one to be easily fooled. There had been no mistaking the sheer level of pity seeping out of her eyes and as she'd tended to the human girl. "Why are you lying?" Mikajia said as he took a step forward and crouched down in front of the human girl. He passed his eyes back to the vampire girl before returning them to the sickly human. Mikajia brought a hand up, placing his fingers under the girls chin and turning her head to face him; he was inspecting her condition further to confirm his suspicions. The sickness running through the child; he'd seen it many times before.

He had been about to mention what he knew before his attention was drawn by a familiar voice behind him. "Well if you must know Sally, I'm learning." He said with a slight grin in response to the noble's question, but didn't turn around. Mikajia removed his fingers from the human's chin before turning to look back at the vampire girl and said, "As to what exactly it is, well, that remains to be seen. You still have yet to answer my questions, miss. You gave an answer, but it wasn't the truth. I would suggest being truthful from here on out." He said while still sitting crouched, his eyes and tone serious, but not threatening.

"But first. Why don't you tell me your name?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Panic rose in Katie, and she fought the urge to turn and sprint away. She was having a horrible day. Two nobles, in the slums? What had she ever done to deserve this? She was lucky neither of them had ripped one of her limbs off yet. She winced as Mikajia rested a hand on the human girl, expecting him to slaughter her. But he didn't. For some strange reason, he didn't kill the sick girl. 

"S-sir," she sputtered. "I p-pited her, I'm so sorry. Please don't tell the council." She could only imagine how horribly they would react. She glanced over at the other noble, then back to Mikajia. "I'm Katie. I don't know what you want, but I'll do it, I promise." 

She crossed her arms, subconsciously trying to make herself look smaller. She glanced over at the other noble. Maybe he hadn't seen her with the child? Her small, feeble ray of hope that she might be able to get out of this was slowly disappearing. Her hands shook, and she clenched them into fists to try and hide it. 

"I'm so sorry," she gasped with more effort than it should have taken her. "I beg you, please don't hurt me. I won't try to help any of them again, I swear it."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:41 pm

"Learning?" Saleth mumbled as he watched Mikajia inspect the ill child. He glanced back at the scared vampire girl in front of him and frowned. He listened as the vampire girl shakily said she pitied the sick human and begged them not to harm her. She introduced herself as Katie due to the taller noble asking for her name. He looked back at his fellow noble who was still with the sick child. Since he didn't punish the commoner yet he was probably curious about her.

"My my, you would do well not to show such fear in front of nobles," The short noble glanced back at the shaking vampire before looking away. "It will be bad for your health." He was referring to some of the other nobles who loved to torture those of lower rank. He knew all too well just how much they loved to do it. He resisted the urge to trace a finger against his scar and instead looked back at Mikajia.

"Why were you even in this part of the city?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Mikajia listened to the girl finally admit to pitying the human child, sputtering more apologies, and begging him not to inform the Progenitors. Mikajia's lips ever so slightly twitched at the thought. He personally despised many of the Progenitors, so it would be a cold day in hell before he sold another vampire out to them. She then gave her name, Katie, before once more apologizing and asking him not to harm her. A second later, Saleth chimed in about showing too much fear.

Mikajia sat there calmly for a moment, thinking over her words and actions, and debating what to do next. Finally, he stood up and said, "You apologize too much. You're a vampire, not a child." He said, cocking his head a little as he searched her features. He could tell that she had been a vampire for at least a decent amount of time, probably longer than himself, which wouldn't be difficult, seeing as he'd only been a vampire for roughly five years.

"You knew exactly what you were doing, and there was a part of you that viewed such behavior as perfectly acceptable, despite what others would think. And I want to know why. Why do you feel pity for a human?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Their words only made Katie fear them more, but she managed to put on a calmer facade, nodding respectfully at their comments. She knew what nobles liked to do to lower ranked vampires, why else would she fear them so greatly? They had every excuse to torture her. She'd been caught helping a human. Common vampires had been punished for much, much less. But, it didn't seem like they were going to attack her. That was strange, very strange of them. They were different than she'd thought. 

She narrowed her gaze. "It is a curse," she murmured. "Sometimes, when I look at those in pain, I hurt for them. It's...a human emotion, I don't know why I feel it." She crossed her arms again, looking up at Mikajia. "There is no one who loves that girl. No one who cares enough about her to take her off the street, or wipe her own vomit off her cheek. She is alone. I just...I wanted to relieve her suffering. So, for a moment, she could know that someone cared. Even if she dies," Katie explained. "Having no one...it's a horrible thing." 

Maybe she was saying too much, or revealing too much, but she knew she wouldn't get any further by lying. The noble had made it clear that he wanted to hear only the truth, and she would rather admit that she sometimes felt emotion than disobey him again. 

Her story didn't go into the other reasons, though. The reasons Katie hadn't fully admitted to herself. In a way, she and that girl were the same. When Katie looked at her, she remembered the terrified twelve year old she truly was. She relived the moment when she had realized that her parents had done something she'd spent her whole life thinking was impossible. They had stopped loving her. The vampire who'd turned her was dead. Her baby brother, who she'd given her life for, was disgusted by her. 

And there was a horrifyingly powerful part of her that couldn't bear letting anyone else feel that pain. 

"That is the best answer I can give you, my lord," she said, rallying her emotions. "I hope it was satisfactory."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Saleth silently watched the interaction between Mikajia and Katie. He stared at the wall as she explained her reason for trying to help the ill human girl to relieve her of her suffering. When the vampire girl said that having no one is a horrible thing, he frowned. He had been alone since his family was killed so he could somewhat agree with what she was saying. No one had bothered to care for him after that bloody day, but he had come to not really care about that. It was just the world is, the weak died while the strong survived. There was no room for caring for others, something that was shown to him ever since he joined the vampires.

He glanced at Mikajia before moving to his side and looked down at the ill child. "If you wanted to relieve this human of her suffering," The short noble placed a hand on Miteagus's hilt. "Death would be a welcome embrace." He looked back at Katie. "Don't you agree?" If the child was too sick to move death would be her best option currently. However, Mikajia had not made any move to kill the child. He wouldn't draw his sword yet simply because he wanted to see how the younger noble would act in this situation.

Mikajia was hardly ever predictable so he mostly had to wait to see what the other noble was plotting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Mikajia listened calmly as Katie gave him an answer, trying her best to explain; he was beginning to understand. Something terrible had obviously happened to her during her human life, and whatever it was, she was still feeling the effects of it in her new life. It honestly wasn't uncommon to happen, after all, he himself desired the ultimate revenge based on events that happened in his human life, so he very well couldn't condemn the girl completely. Her story also told him that she was still very young, like he was, if she still held on to her human emotions as she did. Older vampires, like Saleth, tended to eventually lose contact with their human pasts almost entirely.

Shortly after Katie finished speaking, Mikajia's eyes turned to Saleth, listening as he told her what he believed to be the human girls best hope for relief. He watched as Saleth placed his hand on the hilt of Miteagus, but didn't strike the human girl down, probably waiting to see what Mikajia chose, or if the girl would try and defend the human. "My friend here has a point." He said, looking to Katie and then transferring his gaze to the human as he continued, "But I'm going to expand a little." Mikajia said, leaning to one leg as he placed his hands in his pockets and looked to Katie once more.

"Compassion isn't a sin, Katie. And regardless what I, or others might think, you are free to feel compassion for whoever and whatever you want. There isn't a single living creature that has the right to tell you what to feel, and for whom. Your reasons are completely valid to you, as well as understandable. Loneliness is a terrible thing, and a hell that I would wish only on those that I believed fully deserved it." As he spoke, Mikajia's eyes never left the vampire girl, watching and reading her actions. "However, I wonder if you understand and realize the danger and repercussions of such a thing. But also, the sheer level of cruelty of trying to prolong this child's life." Mikajia lifted his right hand out of his pocket, motioning to the human girl as he spoke.

"I have seen her type of sickness a hundred times over by this point. There is no medicine known to either human, or vampire kind that can cure her except the bite. So in essence, trying to prolong her life would merely trap her in this hell and agony, until her body eventually gave in and she died a horrific and bloody death. And all that you would have succeeded in doing was show her that, regardless of the pain she's feeling, we need her to stick around so we can continue draining her blood. Because, even in spite of trying to show her that at least someone cared for her in her last moments, she is still a viable donor." He stopped speaking for a moment, letting his words sink in.

"I trust you understand what I'm getting at. An even deeper hatred of us than she probably already possesses. And in the rare case that she didn't before, a newly developed and passionate hatred of us at the end. That is what your compassion for her will cause. Now tell me, do you still believe that showing her one moment of compassion to alleviate a small portion of her loneliness and suffering, is worth the cost of the pain and anger she will feel afterwards?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Katie's gut lurched as Saleth threatened to kill the girl. And, as Mikajia began to explain the hopelessness of the girl's situation to her, her spirits plummeted. He was absolutely right. There was nothing she could do for the girl. She knew that, but the thought of the girl dying horrified her. The slippery, red sheen of her windpipe, open to the air. Blood dribbling down her chin, the life fading from her eyes. Leaving her body abandoned on the street, to be picked at by rats and vermin. It upset her much, much more than she'd like to admit. 

"I..." she stuttered, looking from noble to noble. "It's not really my choice, sirs. I don't have the authority to determine her fate. That's up to you two, right?" Her hands were shaking again, and she clenched them into fists in frustration. "But...if you want to know what I think..." She wasn't sure what she thought. But it wouldn't do the child any good to stay silent. 

"She's going to die, whether it's now, or later," she murmured, not loudly enough for the girl to hear. "But...I'm upset by the idea of her dying without anyone caring that she's gone. If she dies knowing that no one cares about her...then this world has failed her." She stood up a bit straighter. "That's what I think. Thank you for listening, Lord Saleth, Lord Mikajia. And thank you for not punishing me. And, for talking to me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Saleth glanced at Mikajia out of the corner of his eyes as the taller noble made a speech. His hand that was resting on Miteagus's hilt twitched when he said that compassion isn't a sin and looked away back at the ill child. In these types of situations, compassion could become a sin. However, that was just his own opinion. He didn't find it necessary to voice his thoughts and instead listened as Mikajia finished talking.

Red eyes looked back at Katie as she stumbled over her answer to Mikajia's question. It seems this vampire girl has a big heart still, though it was no surprise since she was still so young. After she thanked them both for listening to her and not punishing her the short noble looked back down at the ill human. "Everything meets their demise one way or another," He drew Miteagus and pressed the tip of the blade against the girl's neck forcing her to look up at him. "It's only a matter of time till the darkness consumes you."

The girl's eyes were unfocused and dazed, an obvious sign that the sickness was getting to her. It was only a matter of time till the illness takes her life. It would be a waste of time to clean the blood off Miteagus since the girl would is dying anyway. He clicked his tongue in annoyance before taking a step back and sheathed Miteagus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:05 pm

It's been a while since I've encountered a vampire with her level of passion. Mikajia thought as he listened to Katie finally give her reason as to why she didn't want the girl to die, thinking that there was no one left to care for the child. His eyes turned to follow Saleth's movement as he stepped forward, and placed the tip of his sword under the human girl's chin. He listened as Saleth chimed about it only being a matter of time till she would die, and then removed his sword from her chin and re-sheathed it. Apparently he considered it to be more of a nuisance to kill the girl than she was worth.

He agreed with that thought, she would be dead soon anyway, so why bother. However, "I like your passion, Katie. With that passion comes potential. However, your naivety will be detrimental to you. And your compassion will be the death of you, if you can't learn to at least control it." He said to her, his eyes hardening slightly. "I'm not saying you have to completely kill your emotions to succeed in this life. Rather, be the master of your emotions, instead of letting them control you."

Mikajia stepped closer to the human girl, placing his hand lightly on the top of her head; his eyes locked on Katie's as he said, "If you don't learn to control them, those that wish to control you, or kill you, will be able to do so. Just, like, that." On the word 'that', Mikajia twisted his wrist, his fingers snapping the human girl's head around, and cleanly breaking her neck in an instant. Mikajia kept his gaze steady on Katie, watching the effect the human girl's sudden death had on her. He felt no pity for either the human girl, or Katie. He knew this was a necessary step, and that the rest was up to her. She could either learn from this, use this moment to grow, or let this moment consume her. It was up to her.

Finally, Mikajia turned to leave, stopping just before he did to say, "I suspect we'll meet again soon, Katie. But I wonder, will you be the same beaten cub you are now, or will you be on the way to the lioness I believe you can be?" With that, he finally turned and walked out of the alley. He'd done all he could. The rest was up to her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:42 am

Katie did not understand why the two of them were being so kind to her. They spoke to her like she was equal to them, something she could have never expected. She watched as Lord Saleth almost killed the girl, terror storming in her chest, but, he did not. She stared at Lord Mikajia explained why her emotions could be harmful, and what she had to do to control them. She nodded her agreement, though her heart nearly stopped when she saw him put a hand on the girl's head. Before she could realize what was happening, he had snapped the girl's neck. 

Her stomach dropped, and she couldn't hold in a gasp. She watched, unable to tear her eyes away, as the girl slumped against the ground. It made sense, it was a quick death, and Lord Mikajia was being merciful. But she couldn't stop herself from being upset. She couldn't speak to either of them, or focus on what they were saying. She could only stare at the child.

When Lord Mikajia left, and Katie finally stepped away from the body, one of the doors flung open. Katie watched curiously as a much older human raced towards the girl, screaming out what must have been her name. "Lily". The storm inside Katie seemed to calm, as she watched the human lift the girl into its arms and cradle her mournfully. She turned away, following Lord Mikajia and leaving the alleyway. 

Maybe she would be alright.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:09 pm

End

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: